Smart Choices Program
Smart Choices is a summer program for girls entering high school. It inspires girls to make positive life choices about school, relationships and health.
- Living on a university campus for a week.
- Exploring the campus and getting a feel for college life
- Learning about college requirements and how to get a head start
- Enjoying fun outdoor activities
- Meeting girls from other schools in Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz County
- Attending fun and interactive workshops that focus on issues of concern to high school girls,
- including healthy relationships, health, peer pressure, self-image and esteem, healthy eating habits, and more…
This is open to all girls who are entering high school.
If you are interested in joining or would like more information, please contact the Girls Inc. of the Central Coast office at (831) 772-0882.
Highlights from our 2016 Smart Choices program
73 girls spend a whole week at UC Santa Cruz!!
In June, 73 amazing young women from Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz Counties attended our one week Smart Choices Summer Camp at UC Santa Cruz! The week was packed full of workshops and activities promoting higher education and individual success. Girls learned about high school and college requirements along with substance awareness, nutrition, and positive body image. We also had a workshop on bullying and the negative effects it has on others. There were other activities such as self defense, cross fit, and a running clinic which the girls really enjoyed! For many of these girls it was their first time away from home and we want to congratulate them all for being able to step out of their comfort zone. One participant mentioned, "Smart Choices inspired me, I know now that I can do it and I can go to college."